Art

The Historic Fillmore District
by Jonathan Hirsch

Looking back at 100 years of culture in our fair city, we are hopefully reminded that each little pocket of the city tells a story. The story of The Fillmore is truly one of a city rising from the rubble. Much of the areas west of Van Ness at the turn of the 20th century were undeveloped and residential. Following the devastating earthquake and fire of ’06, a number of businesses were relocated around the intersection of Geary and Fillmore. The new commercial area was so successful that the businesses stayed, and the beginnings of a commercial district were born. The year 1912 marks a significant stage in the city’s steady development west toward the Bay, and a significant moment in what would someday be referred to as Fillmore District. One hundred years ago, the Muni began running a train line from the foot of Geary Street, where it meets Market, to the areas beyond the downtown Union Square area. San Francisco was a city on the move, intent on remaining a hub of art and culture in the West.

One of the difficulties in discussing the history of The Fillmore is that much of the positive contributions must be weighed against some of our city’s (and our country’s) worst decisions. Not

read more

Previous Page

 


This article was published:
Throwback Issue - Released May 2012
Issue 4 / Version 2 | Buy print copy here
Issue 11
ad
Asterisk San Francisco Magazine is made possible by readers and advertisers like the one above. Support our sponsors!